In progress indicator

camelia never flowered

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Keith

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I planted a camelia adolph audusson three years ago, it has grown slowly, now approx 2 ft high. foliage is slightly yellow. Position is probably more sunny than it should be, soil is loamy (clay sub soil) with neutral pH but is treated regularly with ericaceous compost and sequestratded iron. Any ideas please?

• Views: 1147
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 16th August 2008 21:10

Camellias struggled this year

Reply from Susie H.

I don't know why but I've seen many Camellias in London not doing very well this year. Your feeding regime should be appropriate if you also give it an ericaceous feed. I've perked up Camellias by improving the soil with organic matter and pruning out some of the central branches to give it more light (normally Camellias don't need pruning).
Susie

• Posted: Mon. 18th August 2008 13:06

Camellia questions

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Keith. How frustrating waiting for blooms that never appear! I agree with Susie, a good prune after flowering is a good idea. You might be on to something when you think the position it's in is too sunny - Camellias will perform well in an open, sunny position if they get some shade during the day, preferably in the afternoon. Though this summer it's not a problem, Camellias need moist soil. They will tolerate a dry spell once established but will need water in dry conditions. If it has been dry in winter or spring, and the temperature won't go below freezing, give it a good watering until it is more mature. Lastly, I'm just wondering how regularly you apply ericaceous compost and s.iron? Generally, Camellias will benefit from no more than two or three small feeds in the growing season. Have you tried applying a liquid ericaceous fertiliser or the slow release beads? They might have a little more of what the plant needs than compost. Hope this is of some use to you and let me know how you get on. Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 18th August 2008 13:28