In progress indicator

Laxton's superb not fruiting

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Barry Larvin

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I have a Laxton's Superb apple tree that we were given for my son's christening 3 years ago. It's yielded fruit every year but there is nothing this year. The tree hasn't been pruned or anything is there something that I should do to help it for next year?

• Views: 915
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 3rd August 2010 17:22

Re: Laxton's superb not fruiting

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Barry,
Since you have had fruit in the past, I don't think the problem is pollination. 'Laxton's Superb' is self-ferile which means it can pollinate its own flowers, but another apple close by would mean heavy crops of fruit. I think the reason you haven't had any fruit is pruning. Pruning in late winter or early spring to a strong, outward facing bud helps to encourage fruit production. Another thought is heavy frost when the flowers were open. Did that happen where you live? A very heavy frost during flowering could have done enough damage that fruit could not be produced. One last reason you aren't getting fruit is if the tree is growing too vigorously. Too much fertiliser can do this and all energy is going into getting larger rather than fruit production.
Does any of this sound like it fits your situation?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Tue. 3rd August 2010 20:36

Re: Re: Laxton's superb not fruiting

Reply from Barry Larvin

Thanks Kathy, we did have a heavy frost (and some snow I think) that may have been responsible.

There is a cooking apple tree in a neighbours garden - about 20m away - I guess thats a bit too far away for cross polination.

I haven't pruned the tree yet and it is looking a bit 'leggy'. I'll add pruning to my to do list for the back end of the year :-)
Barry

• Posted: Wed. 4th August 2010 18:30