In progress indicator

Landscaping with trees

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Pernah

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all, I'm a keen gardener that has turned clueless! I got carried away buying trees to lanscape my garden for privacy, wildlife and amenity value, however, I've most likely brought too many and now not sure how far apart I should plant them? I would like to plant the following along the boundary next to highway- Crimson King next to Parrotia Persica with 6-7 metres distance between; an evergreen Rhysphylloa Oak 5 metres away from Parrotia and Grandiflora 'Victoria' 4 metres away from oak (image 2); 7 metres from the Rhysphylloa Oak I plan to have - Banksiana Pine 4 metres away from Cedrus Aurea, which will be approx. 3 metres away from Acer Griseum, which leads to Arbutus Unedo about 3 metres away - all 4 creating a rombus type shape (image 1). In the side garden 7 metres away from Rhysphylloa Oak - Ilex Handsorth 4 metres from Sequia 'Goldrush' 3 metres away from Cornubia, which is aprrox. 3 metres from Forest Pansy, which will be 3 metres away from another Cornubia (image 3) (I still have Ilex Silver Queen, JC Van Tol, Honey Locust, Rowan Embley, Rowan Joseph Rock, 2 Witch haxels and 2 Cornubia's being trained into a tree). Any tips on planting distance and suggestions on whether I have the right trees next to each other would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance and look forward to your comments/replies. Happy gardening!

Landscaping with trees (08/08/2010)Landscaping with trees (08/08/2010)Landscaping with trees (08/08/2010)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 865
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 8th August 2010 17:59

Re: Landscaping with trees

Reply from Greenwich

Hi,
An interesting selection! When it comes to planting distances with trees you have to consider the time-frame. If you are looking for relatively quick in-fill of the area being planted then planting distances should be reduced. If you are planting for future generations, say, then you need to look at the ultimate size and spread of the species and space accordingly. In practise almost no-one does the latter, and you generally have to find some compromise between the two approaches. Your planting distances will mean that your trees will join together fairly swiftly, so consider whether the larger ones might block the light and water from the smaller as well as the longer term maintenance and pruning that they will require

A couple of points to bear in mind - the trees you have chosen are very different in final size, and in growth rates too. Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush', in particular, is an extremely large and vigorous tree, whilst Acer griseum is a small and very slow growing species and the Arbutus rarely reaches above shrub proportions. The Parrotia and Magnolia will often be wider than they are tall too, something else to bear in mind!

• Posted: Fri. 22nd October 2010 12:29