In progress indicator

Need some advice please on a climber from a pot

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Sheila

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi i'm new here and wondered if anyone can advise me on what to plant to grow around my arch. I have to plant it in a planter as no soil on the side i want the plant to grow. I've planted a Lonicera Halls Prolifica on the right side which is planted into the soil but need advise what to put into the pot on the left side. Many thanks for any suggestions.

• Views: 674
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 12th August 2010 18:25

Re: Need some advice please on a climber from a pot

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Sheila,

Could you give us a little more information about the site? Will the plant be getting full sun or is it shaded? Also whereabouts are you geographically – do you get harsh winters or are you somewhere mild?

A good all rounder in the meantime is Clematis armandii – an evergreen clematis that has beautifully scented white flowers in late spring. Another favourite is Trachelospermum jasminoides, which also has very fragrant blooms. This is a little less robust than the clematis though so wouldn’t work in a location exposed to frost.

With more information about the site however we can make some suggestions more specific to your needs.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Fri. 13th August 2010 16:55

Re: Need some advice please on a climber from a pot

Reply from Sheila

Hi Katy, thank you so much for your reply. First of all i'm a really new gardener but i will try and answer your questions. I live on the south west coast and my garden has the sun going from left to right so the left is in the shade until later in the afternoon. The left is where my container will be for the plant to climb around the new arch - see photo... Thanks for your suggestions, i will go and look them up.

• Posted: Fri. 13th August 2010 19:22

Re: Re: Need some advice please on a climber from a pot

Reply from Nicola

Hi Sheila, Welcome to the site! The plants Katy described can be found on Shoot here:

Clematis armandii and Trachelospermum jasminoides

If you add them to your plants I have list in Shoot we'll also remind you how and when to care for them!

Hope you find the right climber for your arch. :-) All the best, Nicola

p.s. who is that gorgeous girl with you in your picture?

• Posted: Fri. 13th August 2010 21:04