In progress indicator

"Kestrel" potatoes

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Johnnie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I grew Kestrel potatoes this year and were a great disappointment. Supposedly good all-rounders they disintegrated on boiling or even steaming though did okay roasted (from raw). Anybody else come up with this problem?

• Views: 1614
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 14th September 2008 18:51

Misbehaving Kestrel

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Johnnie and John,
So frustrating when all that work gives you a disappointing end! Intrigued by your dilemma, I did a little 'digging' as to what might be causing the problem. I am not an expert on growing spuds, but what I found was interesting. Most places selling Kestrel call it a good all-rounder but they do state they are best for roasting and baking - implies they aren't good when boiled. Blogs and allotment forums have indicated they are not the easy-going growers and cookers as proported - and that they aren't the best for boiling. One went so far as to say he would never grown them again but changed his mind since they are so good at resisting slugs and snails. I did find this little bit of advice at http://www.potatoesnb.com/consumers/faqs.asp
about any variety of potato disintegrating when boiled:

'If your potatoes are disintegrating when boiled, cook them 5 minutes less than you normally would and drain them quickly. If potatoes are produced during a very dry growing season, they will tend to have a higher than normal solid content and less moisture. When these are cooked, they absorb more water than usual and, as a result, fall apart at the end of cooking.'

Hope some of this info has helped. Please let me know if the boiling for 5 minutes less helped.
Good luck!
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 16th September 2008 10:44

Big thanks

Reply from Johnnie

Kathy,

Thanks so much for your very comprehensive response.

We did boil them for the shorter period but they seem disintegrate as they cook, i.e. still raw underneath the disintegrating layer!

Well certainly a learning experience.

Again, many thanks for your post, it was greatly appreciated.

Johnnie

• Posted: Sun. 21st September 2008 20:24

potatoes

Reply from david warman

hi my name is dave i grow maris piper potatoes in my garden and i found them to be really good have you thought about changing the type of potatoe you grow that might help
dave
belfast northern ireland

• Posted: Sat. 13th December 2008 12:19

More potatoes

Reply from Johnnie

Having said that I wasn't impressed with Kestrel I did have great success with Swift - absolutely excellent!
Instead of Maris Piper I'm also going to have a go with Maris Peer - anybody had any experiences good or bad?

• Posted: Tue. 6th January 2009 22:43