In progress indicator

Elstar Apple fruit maturity

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Brian French

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have an Elstar Apple tree and it is loaded with apples to the extent that the tree is bending over. My question is: when will the fruit be ready for picking and how do you know when the fruit is ripe?

• Views: 2188
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 30th August 2010 17:09

Re: Elstar Apple fruit maturity

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Brian,
One way to tell is colour - if is is getting red-flushed it is probably close to being ready. If any start dropping, that is also a good sign. Finally, if you can easily pull apples off, without having to tug too hard, that is one of the best signs the apples are ready to be picked. Of course, you can always pick one and sample - not harm done, particularly since you have so many! I doubt yours are ready, though, since 'Elstar' are not typically ripe until mid- to late autumn. Your tree is so loaded because you must have had an exceptional flowering year. Next year, try thinning the blossoms. Less flowers means bigger, healthy fruit and a tree that is not straining under all that weight.
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 1st September 2010 01:03

Re: Re: Elstar Apple fruit maturity

Reply from Brian French

Thanks, Kathy. Have a few windfalls but a lot of them are quite rosy already. They seem to be getting bigger though so I'll take your advice and wait. The ones I had last year were lovely. Sweet and juicy. Once again, Thanks.

• Posted: Wed. 1st September 2010 05:01