OK
In progress indicator

Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style)

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mrs Holst

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi there

We are very close to finishing our garden, I have attached a photo to show its work in progress style.

This coming week we will be putting a stone step positioned below and inbetween the two bay trees, next to this step both left and right we will build sleeper troughs, I believe we will plant garden herbs (possibly) into these.

Where the back fence is, we are putting 3 black terrazzo troughs (they match the bay tree containers) (70cm long, 40 cm high, 27 depth).

Our garden is southeast facing - the back gets quite a bit of sun in the afternoon, at summer's peak it has sun until 7pm, autumn until around 5pm, winter not so sure.

I am trying to get some inspiration on what to put into these pots - does anyone have any suggestions? Our style is contemporary - also we have children so they have to be fairly child friendly. And anything I can plant between now and early October would be useful.

Also I am a beginner so something that is fairly hardy.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style) (06/09/2010)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 821
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 6th September 2010 20:54

Re: Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style)

Reply from Valerie Munro

Thank you for attaching the photograph of your work in progress - this is extremely helpful

The limiting factor in the information that you have given about the planters along the back fence line is the width of the bed, I am assuming that you wish to have some height to cover the fence?

My first thoughts were to plant a line of Phyllostachys nigra (black stemmed bamboo), or P. aureosucculatra (yellow groove bamboo) which would grow quite quickly, and you could prune off any intrusive side shoots to expose those lovely shiney bamboo stems.

And then I thought of an evergreen climber - Trachelospermum jasminoides - but you will need to give it something to hang on to. It can be a little slow to get going, but once established it will give you attractive leaf cover all year round, with the added bonus of sweetly scented white flowers in the summer.

Going this route, you may find some spare spaces at the foot of the plant that you could populate with some small ornamental grasses such as Carex 'Evergold' or Festuca glauca, in a repeating pattern right across the garden.

I hope that this helps
Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Tue. 7th September 2010 17:18

Re: Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style)

Reply from Mrs Holst

Thank you so much for your suggestions - yes we have been very tempted by black bamboo - we tested it on our backgarden but it was cooked alive - I really want to try again though - thank you for suggesting.

I am in love with this designer's work - but as you can tell we are doing it ourselves and certainly won't look like these amazing photos!

http://www.mylandscapes.co.uk/

They seem to use a lot of flax, grasses, bamboo and palms for a contemporary look.

I will have a look at the carex and festuca - thank you again!

• Posted: Tue. 7th September 2010 20:05

Re: Re: Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style)

Reply from Mrs Holst

Hi

I think we are going to go for Phyllostachys aureosulcata f. spectabilis - thank you for the suggestion :)

Based on this size pot

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=743010&c_3=3|cat_14418930|Troughs|14279477&c_2=2|cat_16849255|Pots%2C+planters+and+garden+decorations|14418930&c_1=1|category_root|Gardening|16849255

# Height: 32cm.
# Width: 70cm.
# Depth: 27cm.

Would I get two for each trough? (the bamboo are available in 5 litre pots with a 80-100cm height) Or do I just get one for each trough given the fact they would spread.

Looking at designers photos (on the link I posted above) it looks like they have seperated the stems out and planted individually?

Thanks for your help.

• Posted: Tue. 7th September 2010 23:52