In progress indicator

cupressus wilma

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mrs Maria Hayward

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have 2 ,one is nice and green the other one has started to go brown, could you tell me if it is normal or is it dieing?

• Views: 1934
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 11th September 2010 09:26

Re: cupressus wilma

Reply from Valerie Munro

I’m afraid that the news is not too good!

I think that your browning conifer is showing extreme drought stress.

We are still suffering the results of yet another extremely hot and dry summer, and our garden plants have just had to struggle. Most people assume that trees will be able to look after themselves, and spend time watering herbaceous plants.

The actual regime of watering is important too. A little water and often can make the situation worse for a tree that is already struggling. It is better to give a tree a really good soaking at, say, fortnightly intervals than a small amount of water every day. Doing it a little and often invites the tree to develop a mass of hair-like roots in the upper surface area of soil, and so when the hot and dry weather strikes, then these roots are extremely vulnerable.

Your tree may also have been losing extra moisture if it was in the path of a drying wind. Unfortunately, even if you had cut the tree back to remove the dead parts, new growth will not have regenerated from this old wood.

The only thing that you can do is keep your fingers crossed, but be prepared to have to remove the tree completely.

Good luck!

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.com

• Posted: Sat. 11th September 2010 22:01