In progress indicator

Transplanting Nandina domestica

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Claire Proctor

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I'd like to move a Nandina domestica within a garden. Soil is light clay, pH 7, aspect sunny, plant in good health and approx 3' wide by 2' high. Has anyone any ideas or success/bad luck tips? Thanks.

• Views: 2982
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 14th September 2010 07:10

Re: Transplanting Nandina domestica

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Claire,
The best time to transplant trees and shrubs is late winter/early spring. Second best time is right now. Since your Nandina is happy and healthy, it is best to take careful steps when tranplanting to keep it that way.
1. Site carefully - make sure where it is going meets its growing/cultural requrements.
2. If possible, tranplant on a cloudy day - this cuts down on root moisture loss.
3. Dig the hole first. The width of the hole should be twice that of the rootball.
4. Don't break up the soil in the bottom of the hole - this prevents sinking which creates air pockets around the roots which can cause rot.
5. Start digging at least 60cm out from the base of the shrub, all along the perimeter. You want to preserve as much root/soil as you can. Heavy job to lift it out, I know but the lease root disturbance is the key. When you do have to cut through roots, make as clean a cut as you can - studies show roots grow back better from straight cuts than ragged ones.
6. Consider using a tarp to place the shrub on once dug out. Then you can slide it to its new location.
7. Once the plant is in its new hole, shovel the soil in. Tamp it down firmly a couple of times as you go to eliminate air pockets.
8 Water in - newly transplanted trees and shrubs need water. If the weather is dry over the next months or so, water well once a week.
I know that is a bit involved, but those steps are the best way to ensure successful transplanting.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 14th September 2010 17:21