In progress indicator

Virginia creeper & Goldheart

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Gavin Hodge

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Live in St Andrews Fife. Want to grow these two plants up NW aspect wall from planter troughs. Have trellis frames ready to install with 40cm offset from wall. Local nursery recommends I wait till early spring next year to plant. Am I too late in season now?

• Views: 960
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Tue. 14th September 2010 15:39

Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Gavin,
If you want to do it, do it now. Both are pretty tough plants so I think they will do fine. Just not quite sure I understand correctly - are you transplanting from troughs into the ground or are you going to plant them in the troughs?
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 14th September 2010 17:29

Re: Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Gavin Hodge

Hiya Katy
Thnx interest and reply. No transplanting, tarmac driveway means I have to try and grow from troughs (60cm deep).
ciao4now
Gavin

• Posted: Tue. 14th September 2010 17:47

Re: Re: Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Gavin,
Hmmmm.....how long are the troughs. Reason I ask is both of these climbers are vigorous and the roots will most likely fill the troughs quickly - unless they are very long.
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 15th September 2010 02:40

Re: Re: Re: Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Gavin Hodge

Kahty, first thnx continuing interest/advice. Despite 15-years in turfgrass maintenance I am virtually ignorant about any other growing plants! This is all a new experience to me.
Right. Planter trough is 3.6 meters long. Trellis frame is 2m high. Do not intend to let climbers grow any higher or wider. With grass, the shorter u cut it, the shallower the roots become. Will pertinent pruning of climbers not keep root length/mass down?
Looking fwd to ur reply.

• Posted: Wed. 15th September 2010 07:49

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Gavin,
Continual pruning will slow/restrict root growth for a while, to be sure, but at some point, you might need to root prune - which could be a big job. Good thing is you are going to restrict height to 2m which will make it easier to root prune if you need to.
Have you bought these plants - I ask because you might want to consider different climbers, ones that have a smaller mature height/spread than Parthenocissus and Hedera - means less pruning work for you! :)
Kathy C.

• Posted: Wed. 15th September 2010 17:18

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Gavin Hodge

Kathy
Root pruning? Wow. Sounds like a major exercise. However, plants have been ordered so I will just have to learn to live with/embrace them! Thnx for all advice. Dont want to impose any more on ur valuable time but will keep u up to date on progress.
Gavin

• Posted: Wed. 15th September 2010 17:59

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Virginia creeper & Goldheart

Reply from Kathy C

HI, Gavin,
No imposition at all - please post a photo of them planted and let me know how they get on.
All the best!
Kathy

• Posted: Wed. 15th September 2010 19:04