OK
In progress indicator

How can I influence when my container grown crocus will flower?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Leighton Nowell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I am part of a Rotary International project which will be planting over 5 million Ruby Giant Crocus. This is part of our "Thanks for Life" activity promoting our efforts to eradicate polio world wide. My Rotary Club will be planting 15,000 Ruby Giant ,
mostly in the ground in public areas, but some in containers for our mobile display. I want to maximise the probability of these container grown crocus flowering during the third week of February. How can I best influence when they will flower? We have garage and probably greenhouse space available for the winter.

E.g. I could plant, say, 3 batches at different times, But will this make much difference? At what intervals? The bulbs have just arrived.

Can they be "forced" during January/February?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks and regards.

• Views: 726
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 15th September 2010 11:51

Re: How can I influence when my container grown crocus will flower?

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Leighton, that's a lot of bulbs - don't tell the squirrels! I would plant them all at the same time then keep them in the cold until around 3 to 4 weeks before you want them to flower, when they need to be brought under cover and kept at around 12 degrees Centigrade. This is the bit you could vary - bringing them into the warmer conditions - and hopefully some should flower at the right time. I hope this helps and look forward to seeing pictures on Shoot next year! Marissa

• Posted: Sat. 18th September 2010 09:15

Re: Re: How can I influence when my container grown crocus will flower?

Reply from Leighton Nowell

Marissa,
Thanks so much for your advice. I have kept many of the trays in my garage under the house where it is cold but not freezing. I have farmed out others to a friend who is keeping them in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse. I have taken them outside a few times and watered them so as to keep the compost damp but not really wet. I hope this approiach is OK. Early in the New Year I will start taking them to a warmer environment. Thanks for the advice on 12 degrees C. I have an offer from a local nursery to put them in their heated greenhouses after their Xmas rush on ponsettias!! Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, Leighton

• Posted: Wed. 8th December 2010 12:53