In progress indicator

My camelia EG Waterhouse is "drying"

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Joanne

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Buds on my camelia this spring have not really opened, but were dropping off. Normally the bush was covered in blooms. It's aprox 15-20 yrs old. In Aug noticed that whole branches were dried up, with leaves totally dried up and brown, I have pruned camelias before and know they respond well to it. so have given my EG W a "hair cut"! But now notice that more leaves,previously green are turning brown again.
It is planeted in a bed running along a wall seperating my garden from the park, and is west facing, so gets some sun from prob midday for a few hrs, then is in a shadow of the house and again gets some sun in the late afternoon.
Our soil is clay, but it has been thoroughly dug over, incorporating lots of compost and grovel for drainage, and all camelias and azaleas were planted in ericaceous soil and are fed with azalea plant food in spring and are watered with soluble ericaceous plant food every so often.
NB - Approx 3-4 yrs ago a Garrya elliptica (6 yrs old) groving 3 meters from this camelia has also dried up and died. But it had some kind of "fungal growth" at the very bottom of the trunk on the soil level, which looked like pencil-thick shiny light pinky brown protrusions. I took some photos and sent to Gardeners World magazine with a question, but never got an answer. Please note that other plants in that area have not been effected - mahonia, pyracantha, ferns, pachysandra terminalis, foxgloves and epimedium. I have removed and disposed of most of the soil from that immediate area where garrya was planted.
Is there any chance of saving it?

My camelia EG Waterhouse is My camelia EG Waterhouse is My camelia EG Waterhouse is

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 891
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 19th September 2010 09:59

Re: My camelia EG Waterhouse is "drying"

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Joanne,
Is it possible to post the photo of the Garrya fungal growth? Don't want to alarm, but I am wondering if it was honey fungus.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 20th September 2010 21:58

Re: Re: My camelia EG Waterhouse is "drying"

Reply from Joanne

Hi Cathy
I will have to have a good look as not sure if I have still got them. Computer also changed since then, so won't be able to get from sent mails.
Please bear with me!
Thanks
Jo

• Posted: Tue. 21st September 2010 17:42

Re: Re: My camelia EG Waterhouse is "drying"

Reply from Joanne

Hi Cathy
Part 2 of the fungal growth from Garrya. It was actually only 2 years ago. I was sure it was longer than that...
Jo

Re: Re: My camelia EG Waterhouse is Re: Re: My camelia EG Waterhouse is

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 21st September 2010 18:04