In progress indicator

Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Variegatum'

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Catherine Winchester

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a beautiful specimen which is growing well and has lovely colouration but no flowers. It was planted two years ago in a sheltered position against a trellis facing south-west. Is there anything I can do to encourage flowering or is a question of waiting?

• Views: 1897
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd October 2008 18:21

Trachelospermum troubles

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Catherine
How frustrating waiting for flowers that haven't come! It's a bit mysterious as to why yours hasn't flowered because it sounds like it is in the right place - warm, sheltered, and in full sun or partial shade. And, although it is true many plants need to reach a certain level of maturity before they flower, I don't think this holds true for T. jasminoides 'Variegatum'. As a general rule, 'Variegatum' tends to be less vigorous than the straight speces and many gardener's antecdotes (and some experts, too) have stated that it does not flower as profusely as T. jasminoides. Having said that, I think there are three factors that might be the key as to why yours hasn't flowered at all - temperature, pruning and fertilising. Is its present location sheltered enough to see it safely through the winter or do you need to protect it with fleece or bring it inside? Since, however, it looks great now, my guess it has not gotten too cold in the last two years. Has your plant been fed recently? If not, give it a good feed and wait to see what happens in spring. Finally, have you pruned it? If not, since T. jasminoides flowers in summer, most experts agree to prune T. jasminoides in early spring. If you have pruned in early spring and still no results, try pruning it after if (hopefully) flowers. If you give these things a try and it hasn't flowered next summer, I would suggest trying it in another location. Hope this hasn't been too vague and please let me know how you get on. Good luck!
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 6th October 2008 14:49

Re: Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Variegatum'

Reply from Catherine Winchester

Thanks, Kathy, for your encouraging reply. We left this plant where it was because it was performing beautifully and in recent years rewarded us with one or two flowers. This year (2013) there are many more! Something to do with all that rain, then sun, perhaps?
Catherine

• Posted: Wed. 24th July 2013 08:53