In progress indicator

Autumn/Winter Gardening & fruit plant

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from O Larry

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

What vegetables & herbs can I plant for Autumn and winter? Also are there any dwarf pear trees I can plant in my garden?

• Views: 954
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 22nd September 2010 23:23

Re: Autumn/Winter Gardening & fruit plant

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi, There are a few things you could be putting in now veg-wise but you would have to wait until late-spring/ early summer to harvest them. Onion sets, garlic and broad beans are regular autumn sowing items, I would also sow winter peas, winter cos lettuce, Japenese leaves and corn salad (personally, I sow these in pots or trays and transplant out). You may also get away with flat leaved parsley which I find gets by in the cold here in London where I live. Autumn is a great time for shrub planting, so Rosemary and Sage could go in, but make sure they have good drainage over winter.

With regard to Pears, the size is determined by the rootstock the plant is growing on rather than the cultivar and you should get this information from your supplier.

I hope this helps, all the best, Marissa

• Posted: Thu. 23rd September 2010 12:14

Re: Autumn/WintIer Gardening & fruit plant

Reply from Anna Hamilton

Hi,

There are various herbs you can plant in winter. One is Rosemary/ It grows all year round and in garden lingo it means a perennial herb.

Others to look at include

Parsley. ...
Thyme. ...
Winter savory. ...
Basil.

I found out hints and tips about gardening here:

http://www.priorybridgelandscaping.co.uk

Loads of stuff in the news section that is great for all gardeners.

• Posted: Fri. 19th January 2018 14:21