In progress indicator

Slug-resistant Hostas

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Georgie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I've seen an offer for slug-resistant Hostas and I must admit I'm fairly sceptical. The varieties are H. 'Big Daddy', H. 'Invincible' and H. tokudama. Does anyone have any experience of growing these varieties and if so, how have they faired?

Georgie

• Views: 3179
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 15th October 2008 20:30

Too good to be true??

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Georgie
I think you are right to be wary of a totally slug resistant hosta. Given the choice, slugs will probably tend to steer clear of thicker, ribbed and slightly hairy hosta leaves (like those you mentioned) as these are harder to munch through and go straight for smoother, thinner, variegated leaves. Having said that, if there is nothing else around, I would bet they would go for what was available no matter how thick and bumpy the leaves were! Apparently, there is a trial in progress at Capel Manor in Enfield, London to test just how slug resistant some cultivars really are - they have an open day 15 Nov so you can check it out. Results should be available next year but I don't know when. There was at trial done in Texas in 1999 and 'Big Daddy' and 'Invincible' were included. They didn't do as well as others - 'So Sweet', 'Sugar & Cream', 'Blue Angel', 'Blue Cadet' and 'Royal Standard' came out on top. Here's the link so you can see the full report http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/hosta/hosta99results.html
The same group did trials in 1998 and 2000 with similar results.
Hope this is somewhat useful and please let me know how you get on. Any chance you are near Capel and can make a trip?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Fri. 17th October 2008 20:56

Slug-resistant Hostas

Reply from Georgie

Thank you for your helpful reply, Kathy. I'm a frequent visitor to Capel Manor as I'm lucky enough to live about 10 minutes drive away. The gardens are open at weekends until 3 November (15 November is the college open day) so I hope to get up there to check out the trial before they close for winter. Meanwhile I think I'll give these Hostas a try but I'll use my usual (non-chemical) slug deterrents around them to be on the safe side.

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 18th October 2008 11:18