In progress indicator

Suggestions for new planting

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Catherine Tanser

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

We have dug up a small lawn about 2 x 3metres and would like to plant really interesting shrubs as it is in view of kitchen window. Soil is PH7. The plot does get full sun from midday and also catches the wind. Can be evergreen or deciduous although suspect that deciduous will be more interesting in foliage and flower. Shrubs don't want to be higher than a metre or a metre plus. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Views: 508
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 30th September 2010 17:15

Re: Suggestions for new planting

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Catherine,

As the site is sunny yet windy why not think about prairie style planting? A combination of grasses and flowers would be interesting to look at, you could incorporate some evergreen shrubs for winter structure, and try and include flowers that leave attractive seedheads for additional winter interest.

Possibilities include:

Grasses – Miscanthus , Stipa and Molinia .

Flowering plants –
Rudbeckia , Eryngium , Achillea , and Monarda .

Winter structure –
Carex flagellifera is an evergreen grass, Pittosporum is an evergreen shrub that can compliment prairie planting quite well, and Callicarpa bodinieri var giraldii ‘Profusion’ is deciduous but really comes into interest in winter when it displays bright purple berries.

Hope this gives you something to think about. If you do go for any of these plants remember to add to your ‘plants I have’ list to receive regular care instructions.

Katy

• Posted: Sun. 3rd October 2010 11:58

Re: Suggestions for new planting

Reply from Vicki

I've recently dug up a fairly small garden and have chosen lots of new shrubs for planting. You'll see them in my plan and plant list - might give you inspiration! We live in a fairly windy area and the garden gets late morning sun.

• Posted: Tue. 5th October 2010 21:06