In progress indicator

Silver vein creeper in a container

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Nicola Platt

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

HI

Can you advise on dimensions required for a container to allow silver vein creeper (virginia creeper to get to close on max height and spread. Want to grow up side wall east facing, but have land drains all the way along wall, gravel path to 1 meter width, so planting climber in soil may mean it is deprived of any moisture at the root. Any advise very welcome

Thanks

Nicola

• Views: 973
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 4th October 2010 12:41

Re: Silver vein creeper in a container

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Nicola,
I'm not sure Parthenocissus is the best choice for a container. I say this because it is such an aggressive grower, and it will need lots of root to support the top growth you want. The roots might outgrow/overcrowd the pot faster than you realise. In that case, you would want to repot or root-prune - not easy to do with climbers that are trained against a wall. I have Ivy (another aggressive grower) growing in a pot (I inherited it from the previous owner) and have avoided doing anything with it because I know it will be a mess to deal with. It's a mess because the plant's roots have grown out the holes in the bottom of the container and have rooted in the ground. I like the effect of ivy growing up the house, but it does need tending as the lower leaves are yellow (not getting enough nutrients in its small pot). The ivy has grown so much, you can't see the container anymore! So, I guess I would say to proceed with caution. You might want to try Parthenocissus in the ground in the area you described - it's so tough, it will probably survive just fine (any maybe take over!).
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 6th October 2010 22:24