In progress indicator

Path flowers

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Nic R

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a crazy pazed purbeck stone path and would like to plant something in the cracks sporadically to break up the length of the path. A friend suggested creeping thyme, but this seems to be more of an edging plant rather than something that can be planted between paving stones. All suggestions appreciated.

• Views: 1021
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 24th October 2008 14:55

Paving planting

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Gemma!
There are so many plants to choose from that I certainly understand your dilemma. I had a crazy paved path at one time and used creeping thyme and Alyssum. The Alyssum was brilliant. As an annual, I could buy a good number of plants inexpensively and had quite a few to work with as I planned where they would go. By mid- to late summer, I had pretty little mounds of white, pink and purple scattered along the path. When flowering was over, I just sheared it back and was often rewarded with a second flush of flowers. Best of all, I was delighted to see little plants sprout up all along the path the next spring since Alyssum easily self-seeds. If there were any noticeable gaps, it didn't cost too much to fill them in with new plants. I wouldn't use the thyme - it tended to get woody, sometimes leggy and often unsightly. And though I didn't mind shearing back the Alyssum, I didn't want to be bothered with the thyme! If you don't like Alyssum, perhaps a non-trailing Lobelia would work.
If annuals aren't your cup of tea, you could try any number of low-growing Sedum. Do a search on this site for options. Another choice is Mind-your-own-business (Soleirolia soleirolii) which will give you a low, spreading mat of greenery all year long. Or, if you don't mind having a little height along the path, or don't mind having some of the stones partially covered, you could go with one fo my all time favourites Erigeron - it will happily grow in cracks and crevices and will self-seed - such fun! A few other options, if the area is well-drained, are low-growing Saxifraga species/cultivars, Phlox subulata or Pearlwort (Sagina subulata).
Well, that's what comes to mind at the moment. If I think of anything else, I will add them asap. Hopefully others will share ideas/experiences, too, as it would be good to know what people prefer and have had success with. Please let me know what you choose.
Happy planning!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Sun. 26th October 2008 10:43

Paving Planting

Reply from Nic R

Thanks for all the ideas I'll have a look and let you know.

• Posted: Mon. 27th October 2008 10:35

Short-list

Reply from Nic R

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking for something the postman can walk on so I liked the Pearlwort. I've also added Red creeping thyme, New Zealand burr & Mexican fleabane to the short list. It's a tough choice finding something that creeps, but won't creep too much!

• Posted: Tue. 28th October 2008 16:05

Oops!

Reply from Kathy C

Sorry, Nicola - I addressed the answer to the wrong name!
K

• Posted: Sun. 26th October 2008 10:46