"An extremely helpful website for all gardeners."

– Mairi , Glasgow, Lanarkshire

thx for the answers Kathy C

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from adrian shane

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

my bay tree is very tall,in a metal container, it can barely fit inside around 2.3 meters..:(so i must say that i have no choice...but to plant it outside...can u sugest in what conditions should i do this operation?should i cover it with what kind of materials?some advice will be welcome:P

• Views: 579
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 15th October 2010 18:51

Re: thx for the answers Kathy C

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Adrian,
If you do transplant, do it on a cloudy day - this keeps the roots from drying out. Make sure the roots aren't circling around the rootball - they might continue to grow this way and eventually 'strangle' the plant. Tease the roots out gently. Plant in a hole twice the size of the rootball. Make sure it is firmly in the ground and keep it irrigated if the weather is dry (maybe a deep watering once a week if there is no decent rainfall). Do this now or in spring.
Just wanted to mention that you can keep a large(ish) tree in the pot but you would need to root prune (and most likely prune the crown, too). To do this, lift the plant from the pot (not easy, I know, if it is large) and prune away no more than 1/3 of the rootball. Plant back in the pot with some fresh compost. Water regularly after that. You can keep a tree/shrub in a large container for years if you do this periodically - usually every 3-4 years, more frequently with more aggressive growers.
Let me know what you decide to do and how you get on.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 19th October 2010 18:51