In progress indicator

Protect Pieris Japonica n Winter

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mina Ratansi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

How do I protect the above plant in Winter. I planted these in July this year and it is the first winter

• Views: 1496
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 20th October 2010 20:00

Re: Protect Pieris Japonica n Winter

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Mina,
Your P. japonica 'Mountain Fire' is classified H4 which means it is fully hardy - it can withstand temperature to -15C (5F). So, unless you live in a very cold area, you shouldn't have to do anything with it. Having said that, however, Pieris, no matter what hardiness rating, do not like cold, drying winds so if yours will be subjected to those conditions, you would want to protect it with horticultural fleece or hessian. If in a container, move it to a sheltered spot.
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 21st October 2010 18:40

Re: Re: Protect Pieris Japonica n Winter

Reply from Mina Ratansi

Thank You Kathy. for the first year I think we will protect it with horticultural fleece

• Posted: Fri. 22nd October 2010 07:32

Re: Re: Re: Protect Pieris Japonica n Winter

Reply from Barbara Stringer

Hi Mina,
I've had both Pieris Forest Flame and Mountain Fire in different parts of my garden and never needed to protect them from frost. I live in Derbyshire so get some very cold winters, so unless you live in Scotland, you should be ok.After some years you may find they get a bit lanky so don't be frightened to take out straggly branches and remove the tips of a few branches every year to help stimulate growth lower down.

• Posted: Tue. 26th October 2010 20:02