In progress indicator

positioning

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from vincent

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have recently bought a two foot shrub and was wondering if it will be ok in a semi sheltered spot. I did not realise that it had to be planted in a sheltered location until i got it home.(I`m new to this gardening business!)

• Views: 797
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 24th October 2010 19:36

Re: positioning

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Vincent,
Since it is semi-sheltered, how much exposure does it get? Winds? Morning sun? Afternoon sun? Will it be exposed to late frosts in spring as the leaves are emerging? If the site gets strong winds or is a frost pocket or gets morning sun, I would either move it or protect it in spring with hessian or horticultural fleece.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 25th October 2010 20:43

Re: Re: positioning

Reply from vincent

hi. thanks for replying.
Actually, it is quite exposed. It gets sun all day apart from two hours at midday when it is shaded by my shed and has no natural protection from the frost.Will the wind totally ruin it?

• Posted: Tue. 26th October 2010 19:18

Re: Re: Re: positioning

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Vincent,
Unfortunately, the wind will probably damage the leaves as soon as they emerge each spring. Also, if your area is prone to frost and thawing throughout winter, that could damage the bark/trunk as well through frost heaving. Where are you located? Any place you could relocate the plant? If not, you could always plant it in a large pot and keep it in a sheltered place (have done that quite often myself).
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 27th October 2010 18:39

Re: Re: Re: Re: positioning

Reply from Alison Shamwana

I can recommend Acer Palmatum "Osakazuki" in a pot. Mine sits in a semi shaded and sheltered position tucked under a large pear tree. It has survived the -15C of the last two winters here in Scotland no problem and has beautiful foliage in spring, (acers elsewhere in my garden suffered from serious windburn last spring). Each Autumn I move it onto my deck to enjoy the brief but absolutely spectacular show of colour. Not sure how long I can keep this plant in a pot, but just potted it on today and it didn't deem too rootbound.
Sorry about the lateness of my posting - what did you decide to do?
Alison

• Posted: Sun. 27th February 2011 18:26