In progress indicator

Teucreum hircanicum

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Dave Jones

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have obtained some seed of the above and would appreciate some advice on sowing them. What I would like to know are things like do they need to be sown when fresh or in spring, best temperature the seeds need to germinate, surface sowing or covered and whether or not they need stratification?
Any other tips would be greatfully received.
Many thanks in advance.

• Views: 918
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sat. 6th November 2010 14:20

Re: Teucreum hircanicum

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Dave,
There seems to be conflicting advice out there on when/how to sow Teucreum hircanicum seeds. RHS says to sow seed in containers in cold frame when ripe. Others say sow late winter - early summer with gentle heat (no more than 20C). If you have the time, maybe try both suggestions to see which works best? And as a general rule with seed sowing, if the seeds aren't fine it is best to cover them with some compost. Seeds should germinate in about a month.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 8th November 2010 18:59

Re: Re: Teucreum hircanicum

Reply from Dave Jones

Thanks for your reply, Kathy. It was because of the conflicting directions that I asked the question. I have discovered a very useful website of a German firm that supplies seeds to the trade (Jelitto) and each of the plants that they supply seeds of has a very detailed description including sowing guides.
They say sow in gentle heat from November to March but if no germination after 3-4 weeks then chill for 2-4 weeks. I have divided my seeds into three lots and am trying different ways. Time will tell!

• Posted: Tue. 9th November 2010 21:03

Re: Re: Re: Teucreum hircanicum

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Dave,
Please post results - I am curious to see what works best.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Wed. 10th November 2010 00:07

Re: Re: Re: Re: Teucreum hircanicum

Reply from Dave Jones

For Kathy C
Batch of seeds sown on 6th November in a heated propagotor (20C) have now germinated (19th November). One of the other batches is still in the frame, where it initially went-no sign yet. Third batch waiting to be sown in spring.
Dave.

• Posted: Fri. 19th November 2010 21:15

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teucreum hircanicum

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Dave,
Any idea of germination rate?
Kathy

• Posted: Wed. 24th November 2010 19:50

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teucreum hircanicum

Reply from Dave Jones

Hi Kathy,
Judging by the number of seedlings in the pot it has to be over 70%.
I am very pleased with the results. It will be interesting to see how the others fare.
Dave.

• Posted: Thu. 25th November 2010 21:52