In progress indicator

Frost Protection

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from john hutcheson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a few large pots in the garden containing some palms and an acer. Now that the frost is here, I was wondering how I should protect them I have some fleece but am not sure if it is enough to simply cover the pot and roots or if I should do something else?

• Views: 1798
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Thu. 25th November 2010 13:07

Re: Frost Protection

Reply from Carol

Some people protect pots by wrapping in bubble wrap (the pots, not the plants) or a layer of crumpled newspaper and cardboard. I guess it depends how frost hardy your pots are....

• Posted: Thu. 25th November 2010 17:26

Re: Re: Frost Protection

Reply from john hutcheson

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the plants needed to be protected also........or just the pots.

• Posted: Thu. 25th November 2010 19:02

Re: Re: Re: Frost Protection

Reply from Steven Thomas

I have tied up my palms and wrapped them in fleece, thicker at the bottom to protect the base and thinner at the top to try and let more light through. Also wrapped the pots in bubble wrap to insulate the roots. Fingers crossed..!

• Posted: Sat. 27th November 2010 14:12

Re: Re: Re: Re: Frost Protection

Hmmm, I just wrapped the pots in fleece. It snowed yesterday too and the temp has been down to around -4C.

• Posted: Sun. 28th November 2010 07:33

Frost Protection

Reply from Carol

I'm sorry, I didn't read your first post properly. I thought you were particularly worried about the pots! I don't protect my potted acers over winter, and they haven't had a problem (one for several years even in last winter in Wales). I don't know anything about palms, but I am pretty sure that fleece won't do much around a pot. It works when it makes a sort of tent over the plant, and stops the coldest air from circulating in but it doesn't really insulate very much. If you're worried about the roots (or the pots), you need bubble wrap or some other good insulator on the pot.

• Posted: Mon. 29th November 2010 14:22

Reply from Ornamental Tree Nurseries

Hello,

You may wish to fleece the palm plants.

Mostly pots will be fine in a frost - it is dependent on the material the pot is made from and the heaviness of a frost.

You can wrap the pots in anything, including an empty compost bag or plastic sheeting to protect the plant roots further from frosting if you are concerned.

The Acer should need no fleecing.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kate
Ornamental Tree Nurseries

• Posted: Mon. 29th November 2010 15:00

Reply from Sara Venn

If you are going to use bubble wrap only use it for the pots-it can make the plants sweat and rot if they are wrapped in it.

• Posted: Mon. 29th November 2010 18:25

Many thanks, everyone. I have now covered the palm in fleece. Hopefully, I have not left it too late. Temps tonight expected to reach -6C/-8C.

• Posted: Tue. 30th November 2010 19:03