OK
In progress indicator

Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum COLD RESISTENCE

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from nothingfail

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

how are you. i would like to buy Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum for my village garden in a hilly area (300m above sea level) in eastern thrace, south east bulgaria on the border with turkey. i am in (US) zone 6b to 7a, with short but hot dry summers 30C to 40C and mild from +20C to very cold -18C and every few years even -24C (in 10 years) with windchill winters. i would like to know if you have an idea about Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum's COLD RESISTENCE your help would be appreciated. thank you.

nikolay

http://www.picturetrail.com/tova_e_bulgaria

Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum  COLD RESISTENCE (06/12/2010)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1685
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 6th December 2010 15:18

Re: Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum COLD RESISTENCE

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Nicolay,
Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum has a boderling H3 hardiness rating, or hardy to zone 7. This means it will most likely withstand temps down to -5C, maybe even down to -15C but will probably suffer dieback at that temp. I think where you are is just out of the range of this plant's cold tolerance.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 6th December 2010 21:43