In progress indicator

Have I Lost It?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from john hutcheson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I planted an euryops pectinatus last year and really like this plant. Unfortunately the severe frosts that we have had has left the plant looking very grey and withered. Is it likely that this plant will have died or is there a a chance that it will grow again from the base?

• Views: 1003
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 2nd January 2011 17:40

Re: Have I Lost It?

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, John,
I hate to sound pessimistic, but it very likely was killed by the cold weather. It can handle temps down to 0C, but not below that. Having said that, plants don't always follow the rules so perhaps leave it in the ground and see if anything emerges in spring. I would give it until late spring before giving up. If yours is definitely gone and you want to try again with another Euryops plant, perhaps a dry winter mulch and horticulture fleece will help it survive next winter.
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 6th January 2011 20:26

Re: Re: Have I Lost It?

Reply from john hutcheson

Many thanks, Kathy. At least I know what to expect. It has been very difficult the past 2 years to try to establish many new plants in the garden and this just looks like another casualty.

I have posted a pic of what it looks like today - after temps of -5C and more snow.

Re: Re: Have I Lost It? (08/01/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 8th January 2011 11:19

Re: Have I Lost It?

Reply from Richard Pratt

I have only just seen this post, but here's my experience. Our plant in the full sun on Hayling Island (Mild winters - good draining soil - but we do get ground frosts) has lived, flourished, and seemingly almost died several times in 20 years. If it dies back, I prune off the dead looking stems, apply a mulch, water the root well if it's a very dry period and so far so good. It once reached 1m high x 1m wide, but then someone in the family drove over it splitting the main stem and it hasn't reached that size since, but about half way at this time. It flowers at any time of the year and not always when you think it would or should. Richard

• Posted: Tue. 16th December 2014 17:08

Re: Re: Have I Lost It?

Reply from john hutcheson

My goodness, this brings back memories.

Sadly, I think that plant is long gone. However, it was good to see it again. Even under all that snow. :)

• Posted: Wed. 17th December 2014 07:06