In progress indicator

olive tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Bridget Price

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have had my olive tree outside throughout the winter in a sheltered position and despite the cold weather it has seemed to survive, however I noticed that all the leaves have started dropping off Idon't want to loose this plant does anyone have any helpful tips? thank you Bridget.

• Views: 1648
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 15th January 2011 10:51

Re: olive tree

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Bridget,
How cold did it get where you live? Any snow on the plant? Olea europea does not tolerate snow but can tolerate short periods down to -5C as would be expected with a light to medium frost. It won't tolerate hard frosts at all. I am assuming it is in a pot. Is it possible the container froze? Frozen roots will spell disaster. My guess is it just couldn't handle this cold winter.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 18th January 2011 19:29

Re: Re: olive tree

Reply from Bridget Price

Hi Kathy thank you for your reply you are right in assuming it is in a pot, unfortunately it has been left out in the snow I have bought it into our shed now and I am going to try and nurse it back to health!! Fingers crossed!! Bridget.

• Posted: Wed. 19th January 2011 11:37

Re: olive tree

Reply from Julie R

I live in north Wiltshire and the same thing happened to my 9 year old olive tree last winter. It was covered in snow and lost all of its leaves but they did come back, for the most part. Another olive in a neighbour's garden lost its leaves, as well.

This winter, I have wrapped the new terra cotta container in 2-3 layers of bubblewrap and covered the tree in one of those green fleece bags. I am still worried about it, however, because it's been covered since December. The bag is a bit of a tight fit since the shape is conical, unlike the shape of the olive. I don't want to continually remove it and put it back on - and though it's been a bit milder lately, the lows are -2 and -3, and it could quickly turn to more snow.

Any suggestions? Should I just remove the fleece?

• Posted: Wed. 19th January 2011 07:41