In progress indicator

veg problems

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from david warman

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

i grow my own veg i have a few problems with growing carrots in plastic dustbins and also parsnips can any one help please many thanks
dave
from belfast northern ireland

• Views: 1334
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Fri. 12th December 2008 20:28

veg problems

Reply from Martin Gale (windygale)

Hi Dave, can you give us some more info please, for your problems,
When do you have this problem, in the spring,summer, autumn or winter sowing times,
Don't the seed gerninate,
Where do you gerninate your seeds, in a greenhouse,
Do you gerninate in pots first and transplant them into your bins,
Do they fork when growing,
Are they small but having a lot of top growth,
What type of medium do they grow in ie, compost or a sandy mix,,
Are they under cover , in a greenhouse, polytunnel,coldframe, or open air,

Please let us know,
windy

• Posted: Sat. 13th December 2008 00:13

veg problems

Reply from david warman

yes i the seeds germinate and i sow the seeds at correct time of sowing time march the seeds are sown in trays first in the greenhouse then transplanted into the bins i use compost to grow my veg in they seem to have more groth on top than under neath were am i going wrong please help many thanks
dave
belfast northern ireland

• Posted: Sat. 13th December 2008 12:10

Veg Problems

Reply from Martin Gale (windygale)

Hi Dave, this is only my view, others may say different,

can you tell me, what size bins do you use,
1' tall bucket or a 3 'waterbutt / dustbin,

but by what you tell me it seems like your compost or a watering problem, by saying their are more top growth meens that theres not much food in the compost so the plants using photosynthesis to make it,

what compost do you use, home made or bought,

i would make your compost more sandy, to make the roots of your carrots and parsnips travel deeper, but when you mix your compost add any type of general fertilizer, BF&B, Orgainc chicken pellets, etc etc,

Water more often just to make the compost moist,
dave can you tell me if you have this problem when you grow them in soil, or just in your bins
could you do a test by growing some in your ground and let us know how things go ,please,
i hope this is helpful,
windy

• Posted: Sat. 13th December 2008 15:22

veg problems

Reply from david warman

hi windy the bins i use are 24 inc tall and i use bought in compost b&q own compost i do not grow them in soil as where i am we have a big problem with carrot fly so that is why i use bins instead of putting them in the soil you have been helpful i do not grow veg all year round thanks windy your advise is very helpful i will try what you have told me next year and see what happens dave

• Posted: Sat. 13th December 2008 20:07

roots don't like being disturbed

Reply from Adam Rubinstein

Root vegetables really don't like to be transplanted as the fine root hairs get disturbed very easily. I recommend that you sow them directly in your bins and cover them in plastic to help them germinate. you can then thin them out a necessary. I would be very surprised if you get anything worth scrubbing if you transplant them from trays. Good luck. Growing in bins is a good idea but they do need a sandy mix and not too rich or they'll fork.

• Posted: Wed. 9th September 2009 23:10

My Guess

Reply from Eric Martin

I reckon you water them too much from the top and the bottom gets dry. To get nice long root veg in pots try standing the pots in trays and putting the water mainly in the trays (Unless the top dries right out|) That way the roots will go down looking for the water.To grow for show you can plant in long pipes but you always water from the bottom to get the nice long roots!
Eric

• Posted: Fri. 19th December 2008 14:38