In progress indicator

Frost

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Lisa

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I bought this plant from the "Poorly section :)" of a garden centre with the hope of nursing it. I think it was exposed to the frosty weather that we had and has somewhat wilted but doesnt seem be regain its shape and has wilting branches. If I were to cut it back will it regain its health again?

Lisa

• Views: 998
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 3rd February 2011 10:49

Re: Frost

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Lisa,
Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow' is pretty hardy - in fact, recent tests in the US show it can handle temps down to -20C (at least). So, unless the container it was/is in froze, I don't think the cold is what is wrong with it. Sounds more like neglect from the garden centre combined with looking a bit tatty in winter. Is it getting too much water or not enough? Either one can cause wilting. Keep in mind, it doesn't like winter wet at all. Since Euphorbia x martinii is technically a subshrub, it is put in pruning group 6 and the best way/time to prune is to cut back flower shoots in late summer or early autumn. However, since yours is unhappy, I would give it good prune once buds start to swell/new growth just starts to appear in spring. Let me know what you do/how you get on.
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 3rd February 2011 19:13

Re: Re: Frost

Reply from Lisa

Hello Kathy,

Excuse the late reply. I'm so grateful for your advice, I actually cut all three plants right back and have kept everything crossed, to tell the truth I'm glad for the wonderful temperatures we've been having followed by a wee shower today.

Lisa x

• Posted: Thu. 10th February 2011 23:13