In progress indicator

Disease

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Ben Smith

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have an established tree about 18ft tall and has suddenly started to rapidly lose its tops; coming off in clumps of green, otherwise healthy looking leaves. There is also a pinkish milky sap coming through the bark at the base.

Is this the end of my tree, or is there something fast I can do to prevent it!?

Disease (05/02/2011)Disease (05/02/2011)Disease (05/02/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 993
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sat. 5th February 2011 09:06

Re: Disease

Reply from Nicola

Hi Ben - can you reply to this thread and add some photos? It might help work out what is wrong. Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Sat. 5th February 2011 09:33

Re: Re: Disease

Reply from Ben Smith

Photos on! Thanks.

• Posted: Sat. 5th February 2011 11:09

Reply from Ben Smith

Hi Nicola

Any joy with what you think this is!?

Thanks

Ben

• Posted: Mon. 7th February 2011 15:38

Re: Disease

Reply from Wendy Richards

We have the same problem on our trees and last weekend cut them back. I was planning to give them some liquid fertilizer at the weekend and see what happened. I am not sure if they will grow back or not and have not found any answers on the web unfortunately! Hopefully someone may respond here.

• Posted: Fri. 4th March 2011 12:38

Reply from Ben Smith

Ive found that its due to both frost/snow and soggy roots. Its looking a little worse since these photos but now the fungus is drying out and whats left of the leaves have stopped dropping.
Ive been told to add a liquid slow release fertilizer high in nitrogen and phosphorus and to clear the root base to help air flow.
Let me know if you find anything else, Im hoping to not have to drastically prune it.

• Posted: Fri. 4th March 2011 13:29

Re: Re: Re: Disease

Reply from Wendy Richards

Thanks Ben, fingers crossed that our trees survive and that we can post pictures of healthy specimens later in the year. If I find anything else out anywhere, I'll post it.

• Posted: Fri. 4th March 2011 13:53