In progress indicator

Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Nell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

I want to move this plant this year - it's flowering at the moment so I was going to move it when it had finished. I heard that they might sulk after being moved so was wondering if there was a particular time that it was best to move it to minimize any petulant behaviour!!

• Views: 20907
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 16th February 2011 19:32

Re: Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii

Reply from Melanie Driver

Hi Nell. Euphorbia c. wulfenii is a really wonderful shrub and one of my favourites, I dont blame you for wanting to keep and move it however the best advice Im afraid is not to try..
This Euphorbia has a minimal root system and does not take kindly to moving so its very unlikely to be successful. Neither do they live that long, so best start again with a new plant in the new site and make sure it gets plenty of sun and good drainage. They are though fast growers and will make an attractive shrub in a couple of seasons.
best wishes
Melanie Driver
Melanie Driver Landscape & Garden Design

Re: Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii (17/02/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Thu. 17th February 2011 13:07

Re: Re: Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii

Reply from Barry Tabor

Hello, Melanie,
Almost without exception, whenever I have removed an Euphorbia from any place I no longer want it, there appear (sometimes immediately and sometimes in later seasons) shoots from whatever little bits of root I have left behind. I would suggest taking little bits of the plant attached to a bit of root from the outside of any plant after it has been dug up and replant, maybe in a pot if you are concerned about its survival, and cosset it for a few weeks, then set it almost wherever you want it. Always remember that this is a big plant after a couple of years, and put it where it can't bully other plants. It is a thug. Hope this is of some interest or help.
Barry

• Posted: Thu. 4th August 2011 13:49

Re: Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii

Reply from Nell

Hi Melanie - thanks for the response. In which case, do you think that I would be able to propagate more from cuttings perhaps after it has finished flowering relatively easily?

Thanks again.

Nell

• Posted: Thu. 17th February 2011 13:50

Re: Re: Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii

Reply from Melanie Driver

Hi Nell - if you think its an unusual variety worth replicating and you fancy a challenge go for it. Post flowering root stem-tip cuttings in compost with bottom heat.

Melanie

• Posted: Thu. 17th February 2011 14:57