In progress indicator

Life in a Cottage Garden - Carol Klein

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Gardens by Mike Palmer

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

For me, Carol Klein epitomises gardening. Her passion and sheer enthusiasm for all things green and organic is instantly infectious.

In 'Life in a Cottage Garden' we're invited to have a sneaky peek over the boundary hedge of Glebe Cottage, her home and garden in the beautiful North Devon countryside.

The book takes the format of a gardener's diary, with Carol sharing a personal and intimate insight into her day-to-day activities in her garden with her husband Neil, daughters Annie and Alice, pet dogs Fleur and Fifi and cat Sylvie. As each month unfolds we're treated to fascinating insights into what needs to be undertaken in the different areas within her garden, including the Brick Garden, the Hot Beds and the Woodland Garden. Alongside this are details of the year round hive of propagation activity in the potting shed.

What is particularly striking is the sheer volume of activities that Carol takes upon herself. I was left feeling somewhat inadequate at times and I'm almost 15 years her junior!

A strong theme in this book is propagation, which is only to be expected of a leading plantswoman. Anything and everything that can be propagated, is. Whilst details of the how and when for some elements of propagation are shown in the book, readers will benefit from getting hold of a copy of Carol's 'Grow Your Own Garden' book (see my Shoot review).

In summary, a great read, which is both entertaining, informative and fascinating. But the book is more than this; Carol's descriptions of fauna and flora, prevailing weather conditions and the surrounding North Devonshire countryside are a joy to read. With stunning photography by Jonathan Buckley, this book is a must for all gardeners.

• Views: 2121
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd February 2011 12:04

Re: Life in a Cottage Garden - Carol Klein

Reply from Vivienne Jenkins

I totally agree Mike. I've put this book on my wish list for Christmas! Another old but very readable book is Beth Chatto's "Garden Notebook". I lingered over every page and was sorry when I finished reading it. I also loved the collection of correspondence between Beth Chatto and Christopher Lloyd in "Dear Friend and Gardener"

• Posted: Thu. 7th July 2011 19:54

Re: Re: Life in a Cottage Garden - Carol Klein

Reply from Judi Samuels Garden Design

I just spotted this conversation and feel compelled to add how much I love this book too.. it's such an intimate and 'real' insight into her world. Just wonderful.. I visited the garden earlier in the year and Beth very kindly signed my book. I felt very chuffed indeed! :-)

• Posted: Sun. 5th August 2012 06:42

Reply from Barry Tabor

Hello, Mike.
Thanks for this useful review - I hadn't realised that Carol had written a book. How did she ever find the time? I agree that she must be among the present decade's foremost plantspersons (did you notice that I have become a little more PC?) and one who is not afraid of getting her green fingers dirty. I always look forward to seeing her on TV and her propagation advice is second to none, I think. I must look out for that book. Probably on Amazon, I suspect. Thanks again for the 'heads up', Mike
Barry

• Posted: Mon. 8th August 2011 10:36

Reply from Barry Tabor

Update: I just found this book and another by CK specifically about propagation on Amazon, at a nice discount, and ordered them both. Thanks again for the pointer.
Barry

• Posted: Mon. 8th August 2011 10:57