In progress indicator

pruning magnolia grandiflora

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from stephanie prior

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My magnolia grandiflora has a few thin branches which are growing out into our small garden. I would like to remove/prune these but having searched various online sites and gardening books they don't seem to agree on the best time of year to do this. Please can you give advice. Thank you

• Views: 2405
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 27th February 2011 16:07

Re: pruning magnolia grandiflora

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Stephanie,
Your M. grandiflora 'Exmouth' is in pruning group 1 which means it requires minimal pruning and should be pruned after flowering in late winter or early spring. You can remove wayward branches at this time, but take care not to remove more than 1/4 (some say up to 1/3) of the total branches/canopy. More than that will significantly weaken the tree. Also, Magnolia grandiflora tends to put a freeze on flowering when pruned too hard. Do you have this plant in your 'Plants I Have' list? I love this feature since I get detailed info on what to do and when.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 28th February 2011 19:17

Re: Re: pruning magnolia grandiflora

Reply from stephanie prior

Thank you Kathy
I was concerned about pruning in winter in case frosty conditions were damaging to the tree? - (it is a mature specimen from Italy that has now been planted for 3 years).
Do you think now would be a good time to take out a couple of thin branches right back to the trunk? - this would not be anything like as much as 1/4 by the way.
We live on the south coast.
Thank you again

• Posted: Tue. 1st March 2011 08:47