In progress indicator

Small tree in a small space

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Liz Counsell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I want to plant an Amelanchier lamarkii in my front garden, but I'm not sure if it's too close to the house. The bed is approx 7m x 4m with only a path separating it from the house - the front window. It's 4m measuring away from the house. I know it's only a smallish tree - but wonder if this is too close? Not worried about the light as it's north facing and the front room gets little sunlight anyway - only late evening. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Views: 1326
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 28th February 2011 16:01

Re: Small tree in a small space

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Liz,
Though A. lamarkii is a smaller tree, I would plant at the very least 5m away from any house foundation. Also, not sure what kind of path you have, but the tree's roots will eventually cause damage if it is concrete/slabs/block/etc.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 28th February 2011 19:28

Reply from Belinda Macdonald

As you are pushed for space, why not try one of the smaller Amelanchier? Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Ballerina' is a good alternative and still has excellent autumn colour.

• Posted: Mon. 28th February 2011 19:47

Reply from Liz Counsell

Thanks for the help. I'll have a rethink about what to plant and check out the smaller Amelanchier. May have to settle for a largish shrub maybe.

• Posted: Tue. 1st March 2011 09:32