In progress indicator

Slow sorbus

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Liz Counsell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a sorbus vilmorinii - approximatel 8 years old. Although it has grown upwards - it doesn't seem to get any wider. Cultivation notes say a spread of 5m after 10 to 20 years, but my tree isn't spreading at all. Also has lots of dead twiggy bits on the branches. Help.

• Views: 732
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 2nd March 2011 16:29

Re: Slow sorbus

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Liz,
The tree could take the full 20 years to reach that spread - and that 5m is the maximum it could get. Having said that, make sure it is in the best spot for optimal growth - full sun to partial shade. Is there an chance the roots are restricted? Would you be able to send a photo?
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 2nd March 2011 19:09

Re: Re: Slow sorbus

Reply from Liz Counsell

Kathy

Thanks for this. It's in full sun - garden is south facing and gets sun all day. The only things close to the base are a geranium psilostemon (behind it in summer) and the geranium in the attached photo in front of it. What do you think? Is it just a case of patience being a virtue?

Liz

• Posted: Thu. 3rd March 2011 15:39

Re: Re: Re: Slow sorbus

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Liz,
It looks pretty good to me! :) Yes, I think patience is the key (as it usually is when it comes to gardening). It looks as if the upper branches are starting to arch nicely. Keep your eye on the one at the lower right - might be arching too much.
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 3rd March 2011 18:40

Re: Re: Re: Re: Slow sorbus

Reply from Liz Counsell

Kathy

Thanks for being so helpful. I guess I may have to prune the lower branch out. Presumably in winter when it's dormant?

Liz

• Posted: Thu. 3rd March 2011 20:13