In progress indicator

When to prune?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Charlotte Ovens

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have planted 16 buxus in a row, approx 10cm apart, to ultimately create a mini hegde. I planted them July 2010 when they were around 10-12cm high, some have grown very well and are around 20cm, some haven't increased in height at all. I know I will have to wait a few years for the desired hedge affect, but want to prune them correctly from the start. When should I cut them down a little, and should I even prune the ones that have not grown much?

• Views: 870
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 19th March 2011 14:37

Re: When to prune?

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Charlotte,
I think the might be spaced too closely together. Buxus sempervirens 'Latifolia Maculata' wants to grow to about 2/2.5m tall, perhaps not the ideal choice for a dwarf hedge. I believe 'Suffruticosa' is typically used for this purpose since it has a max height of around 1m. No worries, though, you can do the same with 'Latifolia Maculata' but it will need more trimming. I think to start, I would space them out a little more, maybe even removing every other one to give the more robust ones more room. Prune in spring (now if you are seeing healthy growth) and then again in summer. If you don't want to remove any of the plants, you might want to prune them to all the same height (in other words, go as low as the ones not putting on much growth). And, it you do leave all plants in, just make sure they are all firmly in the ground. Could be that the ones that haven't put on much growth are not firmly in the soil.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 19:20