In progress indicator

Roses in Containers

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Gerard Rooney

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have just been given two Rose Bushes - Graham Thomas and Peace - unfortunately I do not have any spare ground to plant them in - I would like to plant them in containers - any advise regarding size, soil type and care would be most welcome.

• Views: 1077
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 20th March 2011 20:15

Re: Roses in Containers

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Gerard,
Fortunately, both roses have a manageable mature height - Graham Thomas with a max of 1.5m (with the understanding that it will be regularly pruned). I would suggest two temporary pots, one for each, a little larger than the containers they are growing in now. No matter what size, you must choose containers that are deep - roses need the depth for their long, shallow roots. Pot them up, feed, water & prune as needed. Continue to pot them up until they reach the container size you want them to remain in. Then you will need to prune regularly to keep size in check, and root prune every 2-3 (maybe even sooner since roses are vigorous) to make sure the roots don't outgrow the pot or girdle in the pot. Root pruning involves lifting the entire plant out, pruning no more than 1/3 of the rootball, and repotting. Best compost to use is a loam-based compost with about 20% very well rotted manure added.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 20:10