OK
In progress indicator

Does any one have a magnolia grandiflora 'Exmouth' planted in the open?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Marie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hello, I bought a Magnolia Grandiflora 'Exmouth' with the intention of wall training it. However my husband has had second thoughts about allowing me to plant it on a wall (foundation concerns).

I'm now going to plant it out and allow it to grow into a big specimen tree but I'm worried about snow and winds as I've read it can be fragile.

I'm wondering whether anyone has experience of how resilient they are?

(I'm in an edge of village location in central Norfolk. Where I'm planning to plant it is not particularly exposed but the shelter immediately around it is all fairly low level at the moment (other young trees)

Thanks
Marie

• Views: 1290
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 13:21

Re: Does any one have a magnolia grandiflora 'Exmouth' planted in the open?

Reply from Catherine Horwood Barwise

Hi Marie
I'm in SW Suffolk with a similar dilemma. We were given the same magnolia last year and I was going to plant it against the house but was advised against it because of the size it gets to. So I've planted it about 1.5m away from a garden wall. Then the snow came! It snapped off the central shoot (it's still quite small as it's young) but I must say it doesn't seem to be any the worse for losing that leader shot. It's also in quite a windy spot but is definitely holding its own.

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 13:58

Re: Re: Does any one have a magnolia grandiflora 'Exmouth' planted in the open?

Reply from Marie

Thanks Catherine, I might rig up a shelter of sorts for the first couple of winters and see how we go!

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 16:20

Re: Does any one have a magnolia grandiflora 'Exmouth' planted in the open?

Reply from Jo Clark

Hi there,
We have a very large magnolia grandiflora in a corner of our front garden. I have no idea what variety it is, since it was there when we moved into the house.
It is over 15 ft tall and pretty much looks after itself - I try and remember to give it a top dressing of compost each year, but have to admit I don't always get around to it.
As a relatively large tree, it seems to withstand wind and bad weather with no adverse effects. We are on the edge of Southampton, so it's a bit of a microclimate, the Isle of Wight usually protects us from the worst of the rain etc but we do experience high winds - and last winter was as bad here as it was in many other parts of the UK.
I would anticipate that the other young trees around it in the place you are intending to plant it would give it adequate shelter - ours has stood up to everything the past two hard winters have thrown at it, and looks as splendid as ever today in the spring sunshine.
Good luck with it - it is a truly stunning tree when fullgrown and in bloom.

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 15:35

Re: Re: Does any one have a magnolia grandiflora 'Exmouth' planted in the open?

Reply from Marie

Thanks Jo That's very reasuring!

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 16:18