In progress indicator

Bloom removal and rose planting

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Callie Williams

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I planted a Bramley Seedling and a Herefordshire Russet in December and I was wondering whether I should remove the blossom as it is the first Spring that they are in the ground?
Also, I am planting in a patio rose 'Sweet Memories' adding rotted manure, bonemeal and a mulch on top. Should I feed with Growmore under the mulch or would this be overkill?

• Views: 638
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 23rd April 2011 10:56

Re: Bloom removal and rose planting

Reply from Carol

The rose sounds like Growmore would be overkill. I think the most important thing you can give it this season is water as the ground is so dry. Most plants only like a lot of fertiliser if they are making a lot of growth - if it's quite a small plant it will never need a lot.
My experience of apples is that they sort themselves out - but if you get a lot of fruitlets on them in the first year, they might benefit from thinning out. Pears you need to be more careful for the first few years and not let them fruit much at all. It seems a shame to remove the blossom as it is so pretty! But maybe I'm being sentimental.
Carol

• Posted: Sun. 24th April 2011 15:48

Re: Re: Bloom removal and rose planting

Reply from Callie Williams

Hi Carol,
Many thanks for your sound advice, I'm glad you suggested not to remove the blossom as I agree, it does look so pretty! Off to do some watering now, all the best.

• Posted: Sun. 24th April 2011 17:58