In progress indicator

Strange plant in relative's garden

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Z

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

A relative of mine has an unusual shrub in her garden which nobody has been able to identify. It was there before she moved in and has always given off a very strong aroma (as well as giving many people sneezing fits and sore eyes). I have finally got round to uploading some pictures of it so I thought it would be nice to see if I can finally tell her what it is.

Thanks!

Strange plant in relative's garden (24/04/2011)Strange plant in relative's garden (24/04/2011)Strange plant in relative's garden (24/04/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 516
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 24th April 2011 21:49

Re: Strange plant in relative's garden

Reply from Carol

The leaves looked like some kind of Viburnum to me. I found an image through Google of a Viburnum rhytidophyllum that was the most like it. The leaves seem similar to the V. rhytidophyllum in the Shoot database, but the flowers look quite different. Maybe they are just at a different stage. What do you think? (I only ever buy Viburnum in flower because some of them have a very odd smell.)

• Posted: Mon. 25th April 2011 11:53

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Z,
Most definitely Viburnum rhytidophyllum but given the red buds, I would say a cultivar - possibly 'Roseum' or 'Wisley Pink'.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 26th April 2011 04:00

Reply from Z

Thank you to both of you for your answers. From the pictures I have found, it certainly seems to be a type of viburnum rhytidophyllum.

• Posted: Tue. 26th April 2011 17:00