In progress indicator

Lorna Hazeltine

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Lorna Hazeltine

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have several Fuchsia plants (I started the cuttings off in water) They are now 10-14cms high. I have nipped out growing tips, Some of the side shoots are now quite long, should I also nip these back?

• Views: 1404
  • Replies: 9
  • Posted: Mon. 9th February 2009 21:33

Fuchsia

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Lorna, you could shorten the side shoots a little if you think it will improve the shape of the plant. If you think they could do with filling out a bit more, doing this will make them branch from those side shoots. All the best, Marissa

• Posted: Thu. 12th February 2009 10:26

Fuchsias

Reply from Lorna Hazeltine

Many thanks Marissa. I will shorten the side shoots a little as I think it will make the plant a better shape.

• Posted: Thu. 12th February 2009 13:04

Fuchsia

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Lorna,

I would nip back the side shoots too as it will encourage the plant to grow more bushy and give it an overall better shape.

Jo.

• Posted: Sat. 21st February 2009 19:37

Fuchsia

Hi Jo. Glad you agree that nipping back the side shoots is the way to go. I have done it and I am sure the plants will be a better shape. Thanks for your input.
Lorna.

• Posted: Sat. 21st February 2009 20:40

Fuchia

Reply from Gordon

I have grown all mine from cuttings and its just a matter of taste.Why not try to grow a standard Fuchia. Take a cutting and root into a pot. As it grows, remove all the side shoots until it reaches the height you require as a single stem. Then remove the tip and it will branch out. When these shoots are 75 mm long then pinch out the stem tips again. This will help make a dense head on the plant.

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 18:54

fuchsia

Late husband always did my cuttings for me although he couldn't do general gardening as he was in a wheel chair. I haven't had much success with cuttings. This year I tried cuttings in water first (as suggested by a friend on another site) and I have had 100% success. Maybe I will try a standard this year. Again the husband had success but I haven't tried to grow a standard. Thanks for suggestion. Any particular variety you can suggest?
Lorna

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 20:31

Best of Fuchsia

Reply from Gordon

The best type to get are the Hardy.
No need to worry about frosts.
The two I like are.
Alice Hoffman and Army Nurse.
They will bloom from summer to autumn.
Both good for borders or containers.
Happy Gardening
Gordon.

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 08:57

Fuchsia

Thanks Gordon. I have 2 hardy fuchsias, I don't know the variety as they were from cuttings given to me. I will look out for the 2 you have mentioned. Definitely going to have a go this year.
Lorna

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 10:18

Fuchsia

Reply from Gordon

Best of luck! Keep young!

Gordon.

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 11:30