In progress indicator

Help with my pieris

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Lynette

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi,

I have a plant in my garden which is some kind of pieris, but I'm not sure which it is, or how to look after it. It's gotten quite tall and woody, and isn't very bushy. Also, some of the leaves have gone brown/fallen off. Is this normal....sorry I'm VERY new to gardening and any help would be appreciated!

Click to enlarge images

Help with my pieris (27/04/2011)Help with my pieris (27/04/2011)Help with my pieris (27/04/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 982
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 27th April 2011 12:13

Re: Help with my pieris

Reply from Ronnie

I have had to grow mine in a large pot with ericacious soil. Once in a while I give it a watering using Sequestian. Hope that helps. Also I don't have it in full sun all day. It has full sun until early afternoon (2ish height of summer) and then is in the shade until the evening sun, after 6.

• Posted: Wed. 27th April 2011 12:55

Re: Re: Help with my pieris

Reply from Lynette

Mine has been in the garden since I moved in nearly four years ago, and has always been in full sun - but it's looking decidedly less healthy this year? Will pruning help thicken it back out?

• Posted: Wed. 27th April 2011 16:37

Re: Re: Re: Help with my pieris

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Lynette,
Pieris typically require very little pruning. On yours, however, you might want to cut back the really tall, leggy bit in the centre. This might encourage bushiness. At the same time, feed with an ericaceous fertilizer. Do this as often as recommended on the packet. It looks like your soil is too alkaline.
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 27th April 2011 22:51

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with my pieris

Reply from Lynette

Thanks Kathy! Is it ok to cut back now, or is it better at a different time of year? Sorry - I'm a complete novice!

• Posted: Thu. 28th April 2011 13:13