In progress indicator

Climber for a Magnlia Stellata

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Liz Counsell

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a lovely Magnolia stellata - around seven feet tall currently. It's gorgeous in spring but a little dull for the rest of the year. I thought about growing a climbing rose into it - do you think It's big enough to take a small one, or would something else be more appropriate?

• Views: 735
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 28th April 2011 13:40

Re: Climber for a Magnlia Stellata

Reply from Jo

Hi Liz, I saw you've had no replies after more than a week so I thought I'd chip in! I'm not an expert, but...

I love the idea! It sounds really exciting. A clematis would probably be the more 'appropriate' choice, but sometimes it's more fun to be inappropriate! I'd try one of the English Roses by David Austin that they say can 'also' be used as a climber. 'James Galway' would be a good choice. Apart from being a lovely rose, it's thornless so would be easy to train and prune in your unusual situation.

• Posted: Sat. 7th May 2011 19:23

Re: Re: Climber for a Magnlia Stellata

Reply from Liz Counsell

Thanks Jonathan. I'll certainly take a look at that rose. Thought of clematis, but I've never been very successful with them in my garden. Have a huge slug and snail problem, +fairly heavy soil - but may try again.

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 09:49

Re: Re: Re: Climber for a Magnlia Stellata

Reply from Jo

Liz, I just got the May edition of 'The Garden' magazine from the RHS. on page 350 there's a short feature on 'Compact Climbing Roses' which lists about twenty climbers and ramblers. (I thought all ramblers were huge - live and learn!). Thought you might want to take a look. Very pleased to see they included James Galway, the one I had suggested. Feeling VERY clever!

• Posted: Sat. 14th May 2011 19:59