In progress indicator

Please identify!

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Freddie Dunkley

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Can anyone identify this shrub for me? I purchased it about four years ago and have lost the label (!), and would love to buy another.
It is deciduous, with green three lobed leaves. In four years it has grown to 6' high. It flowers on previous year's growth with white pompoms consisting of hundreds of tiny flowers, each pompom being 4-6" in diameter.
My soil is poor (dry and stoney), and this shrub is growing right against a brick wall! It is watered and fed randomly, and still seems to thrive and give so much pleasure.
In spring it glows with these flowers, which last about three weeks.
I seem unable to identify it in the Plant Identifer, so would appreciate some assistance.
Many thanks

Please identify! (08/05/2011)Please identify! (08/05/2011)Please identify! (08/05/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1054
  • Replies: 9
  • Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 15:16

Re: Please identify!

Reply from Geoffrey Wakeling

Hi Freddie,

It's a viburnam...fairly sure it's Viburnum macrocephalum :) I love the huge round flowers, they're quite something aren't they...and once established they do pretty well even, as you say, in the poorest settings.

Geoff

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 16:04

Re: Re: Please identify!

Reply from Nicola

Thanks Geoff for the quick reply to Freddie:)

Freddie - here are the Viburnum listed in Shoot so far. Viburnum macrocephalum doesn't seem to be there. If you want us to add it please fill in this plant request form. Hope that is helpful!

Best regards, Nciola

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 16:10

Reply from Pip Bensley

Hi Freddie,
I think it is Viburnum opulus 'Roseum', also sometimes known as 'Sterile'. It is a fabulous shrub, great for cutting. You often see it sold as a cut flower or in bouquets when it is cut early when it is still green and smaller.
Pip

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 16:21

Reply from Nicola

Thanks Pip (Great to see you here:)& MrsBing,

Freddie - here is Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'

Cheers Nicola
p.s. Pip is from Hillier with whom we are launching a co-promotion at this year's Chelsea Flower Show - come visit them if you are attending! Here is a page with the Hillier garden plants list (you need to be logged in to see it)

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 16:54

Reply from MrsBing

Viburnum opulus roseum "Snowball Tree".

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 16:48

Reply from Freddie Dunkley

Thank you everybody - too many to respond to individually!
Can anyone tell me the difference between Viburnum macrocephalum and Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'? I'm loathe to complete a Plant Request Form until I'm absolutely sure.
Once my shrub loses its flowers (possibly in the next week as they are dropping now) it doesn't get a second flush. The flowers erupt green in spring, and as the pompoms swell, the millions of tiny petals unfurl white.
I may attempt hardwood cuttings, and try to find space in my postage stamp for another!
:-)

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 17:24

Reply from Pip Bensley

Hi Freddie,
V. macrocephalum is a more tender version, better against a wall in the uk. It has simple oval leaves that can be evergreen or semi-evergreen depending on the warmth of climate. V opulus has leaves with three (or sometimes four or five) lobes like a maple or acer tree. It is a form of our native "Guelder Rose" which has flowers like a lacecap hydrangea. From your picture it has the right leaves for V. opulus Roseum. Hope this helps. Pip

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 18:58

Re:Please identify!

Reply from Freddie Dunkley

Thanks Pip. It is deffinitely Viburnum opulus as it has three lobed leaves.
I will attempt a cutting, I think, and also see where I can purchase one. I live near Burford Garden Centre, so am well located for searching.
Thanks again. I love this site!!

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 19:32

Reply from ALISON REID

It's a snowball bush - or to give it the official name - viburnum opulus sterile. I have one of these in my garden and it's doing really well just now.

• Posted: Sun. 8th May 2011 19:31