In progress indicator

plants for shade in containers

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Ann

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi there,
I have some small quarter barrells, 2ft diameter and 14 inches high. I want to grow something on the part of the patio that is bright but no direct sunlight. I was thinking maybe large ferns but don't know the first thing about them, would it work and/or any suggestions please?
I have been successful with sarcocca but wanted something a bit faster growing as well. Many thanks

• Views: 986
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 9th May 2011 15:47

Re: plants for shade in containers

Reply from gillian deacon

Hi Ann. I have a few hostas that were in an ordinary pot and lots of trouble with slugs and snails, but this year I've put them in a planter in shady spot and they look amazing. There are three of them all different and I've proteced them from the slugs etc by putting copper tape all round the planter. Hope this is a useful idea. Happy planting Gill

• Posted: Mon. 9th May 2011 20:17

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Ann,
If you do an Advanced Search here on Shoot and put in plant name 'fern' and then select 'containers' for use, you will get a nice list of ideas. And I agree with Gillian about giving Hostas a go - they do very well in containers and I used copper tape on my pots as well and the slugs steered clear.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 9th May 2011 22:48

Re: Re: plants for shade in containers

Reply from Ann

Thankyou Gillian and Kathy.!
I must admit I have steered clear of Hostas because I was gardening all day and slug/snail hunting by night!! - but in containers with the tape I might stand half a chance!!
And Kathy thanks for the advance search advice, I wasn't aware I could do that. I looked up ferns and was a bit daunted by the amonount of choice !!
What would I do without this site, that has stopped days of pondering!!
Thanks again!!
ann
But I really like hostas and there is a fantastic range to choose from so I will keep you posted on

• Posted: Tue. 10th May 2011 06:03

Re: Re: Re: plants for shade in containers

Reply from Carol

I have found this year that coffee grounds are working well keeping the hostas free of slugs. I put the spent coffee grounds on the surface of the compost in the pots through the winter and the fresh shoots have come up through and are (mostly) un-nibbled. Having said that, it was such a cold winter that there aren't as many slugs as usual!

• Posted: Tue. 10th May 2011 16:03

Reply from Ann

Thank you everyone, I put hostas in plus heuchera and they are doing well and no slugs so far - I have got copper tape and coffee grounds and OH has propped them up on some bricks for me.
thank you1.

• Posted: Sun. 29th May 2011 08:38