In progress indicator

Infestation

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from ADRIAN PORTER

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

In autumn of 2010 I planted lots of polyanthus plants and Pansies everyone was eaten by caterpillars.Big cuts and holes appeared in the leaves eventually only the ribs were left.I have planted all My summer bedding and there are still caterpillars they have overwintered in the hanging baskets and are now starting too eat Bgonia and Pelargonium leaves , I treated them today with BACILLUS THURINGIENSIS THURICIDE what are the caterpillars will this Bacteria get rid of them?

Infestation (11/05/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 892
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 11th May 2011 19:21

Re: Infestation

Reply from Nicola

Hi Adrian, when it comes to chemical control of pests the list of allowed chemicals is changing all the time. I suggest that you visit your local garden centre to find out what the latest and best solution is. Take your leaf along with you. They will have the most up-to-date information as regulations about permitted chemicals change frequently.

• Posted: Thu. 12th May 2011 08:25

Re: Re: Infestation

Reply from ADRIAN PORTER

Hi Nicola thanks for your reply.I did take a leaf to My garden center they recomended Provado Ultimate Bug Killer but it didnt get rid of them.I have treated them with the bacteria Bacillus and overnight I havnt seen any damage too any leaves so heres hoping.I hold a safe use of pesticide and application certificate for spraying horticultural pesticides etc so can use all legal chemicals and yes it is always changing the legislation and banning of chemicals alot of banned products were very good.I need to properly identify this caterpillar I think it is a moth as the larvae appeared September time , im wondering if it came in with new plants or with disturbing the soil? .. .

• Posted: Thu. 12th May 2011 14:28

Re: Infestation

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Adrian,
Can you describe the caterpillar?
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 12th May 2011 22:17

Re: Re: Infestation

Reply from ADRIAN PORTER

Hi Kathy,
Yes here is a photo sadly not close up.Its about 1.5 to 2inches long a grey green in colour with a thin brownish stripe running down either side of its body with short dumpy legs. Its similar to a cut worm it curls up and inches when it walks

Re: Re: Infestation (13/05/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Fri. 13th May 2011 06:41