In progress indicator

Have you started any seeds off yet?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Joanne 9919

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Just wondering when everyone starts off their seeds?

I have sown some sweet pepper and aubergine seeds already, mainly because these need a long growing season.

I will be sowing the majority of my seeds in March when the weather has warmed up a little.

Jo.

• Views: 1002
  • Replies: 13
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 10:15

Edible gardening

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Jo, last year, I had seed trays all over the kitchen worktops, much to hubby's dismay. This morning, I had a revelation - I am going to bring my new plastic mini greenhouse into the spare bedroom and get my seeds going in there! Hubby didn't like that idea much either but is relenting. So, next weekend, will be seed sowing kick-off for the year. Where are your's? Good luck with it, Marissa

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 13:47

Seeds

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Marissa,

I have started my seeds off in a propagator on the lounge windowsill. Once they are up I will prick them out and then they will go onto my son's bedroom windowsill which is south facing and gets lots of light.

I have got one of those mini-7 propogators and it's fab. The seed trays are only a quarter of the size of full seed trays and it's long rather than wide so fits a windowsill perfectly.

I have heard of people bringing their mini greenhouse's indoors before to start off their seeds. The only problem with this is that once they are up they will need good light to prevent them from getting leggy.

What are you sowing?

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 20:39

Seeds

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Jo, I am sowing loads of veg and some flowers too. I got an allotment last year and so have loads of space to fill - the only thing is, I am still getting my beds sorted out, so I have LOADS to do! Good point about the light for the seedlings - will make sure I get the greenhouse in a good position - had better keep those worktops/window sills clear just in case...

• Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2009 20:30

Seeds

Reply from Georgie

Hi Jo, lovely to see you here. :)

Like you I will be holding back until March for most of my seeds which I start off on my kitchen windowsill. But I did sow a few things last weekend including Chilli Trifetti, Chilli Pretty in Purple and Alpine Strawberries.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 14:52

Seeds

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Georgie,

I forgot the Alpine Strawberries. I have sown those too. I didn't have much luck with them last year though, they didn't germinate for me at all so I thought I would give it another go this year.

I've also sown some flower seeds as well as edibles so we'll see how they get on.

The Honesty seeds you so kindly sent me last year were sown in the cold greenhouse. After taking your advice I have left them to it all winter. I checked on them on Saturday and they are now coming into growth, they have got an extra couple of leaves than the seed leaves so I'm hoping for great things from them! I want those beautiful silver seed heads!!!!

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 20:44

Seeds and Honesty

Reply from Georgie

Sounds like you've been busy, Jo. Glad to hear the Honesty has germinated and good luck with the Alpine Strawberries.

My Honesty has self-seeded everywhere so I think I'll be pulling some of the seedlings out. LOL . And guess what? Two plants sown last year are already in bud - that's so early, especially after all this cold weather. I am really surprised.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 21:22

early seeds

Reply from Diane

Our green house is south facing here on the south coast so we have put a few peas and beans in a week ago to see how they go - no signs yet though

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 12:15

Early seeds

Reply from Georgie

Hi Diane

How lovely to see you here. (I'm guessing you are my cousin - I post here under my pseudonym!) Do you sow your peas and beans in modules before planting out in the garden or do you grow them in the greenhouse? I sow both direct but I I find I lose a few to slugs and snails that way. :(

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 14:48

early seeds

Reply from Diane

Hello, yes it's me... well nearly me! Geoff has dug up the lawn and made a veg patch, so he uses my profile because it's him doing the growing this year! I'll be the one picking the crop hopefully. We started the seeds off in jiffy pots in the green house, and a couple on the kitchen window sill, so when they are ready to go out they can go straight into the ground. We have got one bean out as an experiment because it became too leggy on the window sill, but I think it will either be the cold wind that does for it or those bloomin snails which we keep evicting from the garden.

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 16:23

Veg patch

Reply from Georgie

Hi Diane/Geoff

I think it's great that you are making a veg patch from your lawn. I hope you'll keep us all informed about how you are getting on. I have to say I don't rate that bean's chances tho'!

Georgie

PS Where are the pics from Oz?

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 17:39

Veg Patch

Reply from Diane

Well the 'patch' is only 2 metres by 3 metres so not very big really, we have put in the compost heap from the last 2 years, as the soil height grew a fair bit we decided to raise the bed so that it would not incroach on the lawn - we used shingle boards as used under fences as an edging - they have raised the patch about 4 inches As it was a shame to see it bare we planted some onion sets, as there was also a garlic in the cupboard sprouting so we have split that up and planted it - seems to be going well, the biggest problem at the moment is the dogs wanting to play on it so we are in the process of finding ways of keeping them off it. we will e Mail you Oz pictures soon

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 19:03

Veg Patch

Reply from Georgie

It seems raised beds are the way to go in small gardens and with all that lovely compost I bet eveything will romp away. I'm afraid I don't have any tips for keeping dogs away from it but maybe others here will have some ideas?

Georgie

• Posted: Mon. 9th March 2009 09:58

Veg Patch

Reply from Diane

Hullo Georgie - its Geoff, today we are trying short bamboo canes and bean netting to make a small 'fence' around the plot, its short enough for us to get over and too tall (hopefully for the dogs, outlay was less than a fiver so will see how it goes

• Posted: Mon. 9th March 2009 13:32