In progress indicator

gold rush tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from suzanne wallace

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

can anyone help
i have had this tree for three years in a large container it was perfect looking beautiful up to a week ago and now over night is looking very sad and dropping it leaves
please help i dont want to lose it

• Views: 890
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 11th June 2011 19:46

Re: gold rush tree

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Suzanne,
Most trees, with extra care, can happily live in a container for years. To stay happy, they need regular feeding and, every 4 years (sometimes less) a root prune so their roots don't girdle in the pot. Having said that, however, your Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush' is such a fast-growing tree, and one that will get huge, that it isn't suitable for a container. I suspect its roots are filling the pot and it has used all available nutrients the compost had to offer.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 13th June 2011 19:22

Re: Re: gold rush tree

Reply from suzanne wallace

thanks for the advice kathy i will get hubby to plant it in the ground away from the house, i can see new buds coming on the branches so hopfully i will save it.
suzanne

• Posted: Thu. 30th June 2011 21:15

Re: Re: Re: gold rush tree

Reply from Rick Dewhirst

I think this website may have made a mistake as the Gold Rush form of the Dawn Redwood is a golden version and won't grow much more than 5 metres with a spread of about 3 metres. Also is slow growing.

• Posted: Mon. 3rd March 2014 09:12