In progress indicator

Penstemon

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from philippe berthoud

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have planted several penstemon last year and all have not survived the winter. They had a magnificent display and I was looking forward to see them flower again this year. Soil is heavy clay to which I added a lot of mushroom compost. Full sun. Surrey Hampshire border. Any suggestions?

• Views: 1323
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sun. 12th June 2011 10:50

Re: Penstemon

Reply from Angie Robertson

I think the solution to your problem is to take cuttings from the plants at an appropriate time. Carol Klein done a feature on Penstemons on a TV show last year. When I watched the show, I realised that all those beautiful Penstemons I had bought last year were not going to survive but I don't have the facility to take cuttings and keep them over the winter.
I'm not an expert just a beginner gardener so am unable to give you any more advice that this, hopefully someone will give you better advice. Angie

• Posted: Mon. 13th June 2011 00:10

Re: Re: Penstemon

Reply from Nicola

Hi both - we have an about penstemon video on YouTube by plant nursery owner Bryn Bowles. The sound quality isn't great but could be of use??
Best regards, Nicola

• Posted: Mon. 13th June 2011 08:11

Reply from philippe berthoud

Thank you
Philippe

• Posted: Tue. 14th June 2011 07:06

Re: Penstemon

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Philippe,
Did you give them a thick, dry, winter mulch? If so, I think any you plant this year will survive winter.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 13th June 2011 19:17

Reply from philippe berthoud

No, they were planted in wet heavy clay so the damp site may be the problem

• Posted: Tue. 14th June 2011 07:07

Re: Re: Re: Penstemon

Reply from john

I have several of these and all have survived a few winters now. I have heavy clay soil too but have incorporated lots of manure and have 'built up' my borders so they rise above the garden grass and dont sit in water. i live near Liverpool/Manchester.
Cuttings take really easily too.

• Posted: Thu. 14th August 2014 14:05