In progress indicator

Container Acer

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from john hutcheson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have an Acer Palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom'. It is currently in a 14" container and the plant is about 1m in height. The foliage is rather light in colour just now and the roots now seem to fill the pot. I understand that this is a container palm but wonder if it should be potted into a larger pot or kept in the current pot. If it has to be potted on, eventually what size of pot will be required to hold the Acer.
Or is the advice that these plants do better in the ground?

Container Acer (19/06/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 877
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 19th June 2011 12:10

Re: Container Acer

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, John,
You can either pot up or root prune. Depends on how big you want to go with the container. If it has been in the pot for 3-4 years, it at least needs a root prune to keep in happy. This entails lifting it and pruning away no more than 1/3 of the rootball. It will be slow to recover, but the plant will be happier for it in the long run. If it were mine (and this is just my opinion), I would pot up since 14" is a little on the small side for a permanent home. Not sure what that is growing around the base of the tree, but if it is weeds, get them out of there and keep it weeded regularly. Those weed are sucking up water and nutrients your Acer should have. If it is an underplanting, you might want to sparingly feed on a regular basis. A. palmatum, as a general rule, aren't heavy feeders, but with competition with other plants, and because it is in a container, you will want to feed it.
Kathy C.

• Posted: Mon. 20th June 2011 19:23

Re: Re: Container Acer

Reply from john hutcheson

Thanks, Kathy. Those are weeds around the base - moss mostly. What size of pot do you think would suit its permanent home?

• Posted: Thu. 30th June 2011 15:09