In progress indicator

Non flowering Phygelius

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Glenys Slater

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have had a Phygelius in the sunny part of my garden for 5 years and it is not flowering. My garden is north facing but where it is planted it get the sun for about half the day. It's spreading OK and plenty of green - but no flowers! Being in London my soil base is clay but the plant is in a well drained part of the garden. Every year I look out for the flowers but nothing happens. The only time it had flowers was when it was purchased! I think it must be in the wrong place but would be grateful for any advice - I must admit it doesn't get much in the way of care apart from chicken pellet fertilizer sprinkled round the garden in spring.

• Views: 999
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 3rd July 2011 08:51

Re: Non flowering Phygelius

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Glenys,
Since your garden is north-facing, I really think it isn't getting enough sun - it wants full sun which means a minimum of hours of full-on sun a day - more is better. Also, it is half-hardy so it could be getting too cold in winter (though I suspect that is not the reason since London gardens tend to be nicely sheltered).
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 5th July 2011 21:44

Reply from Carol

Hi Glenys - do you cut it hard in the spring? That often helps Phygelius - mind you, mine is in full sun and has no flowers this year but it's been a funny year with hot dry spells so early in the year.

• Posted: Thu. 14th July 2011 23:02

Reply from Glenys Slater

Thanks for the info. It has actually got a few flower spikes on it any the moment - so here's hoping. But I think I will move it to the front garden which gets more sun. I haven't hard pruned it in the past but may be will also try this next year as well.

• Posted: Fri. 15th July 2011 08:22